Past Cultural Exchanges
The 2013-2014 Season was the culmination of a multi-year process, the fulfillment of a vision we articulated when we founded ZiRu Productions in 2007. For this season, we received grant support from The US State Department and the US Embassy in Beijing to construct a cultural exchange program that brought American modern dance choreographers to teach in Chinese universities and dance programs and culminated with a five-city performance tour by ZiRu Dance.
Our 2013-2014 Season Partners:
American Choreographers and Partnering Institutions
– Karah Abiog in partnership with Alonzo King LINES Ballet Training Program
– Aleta Hayes in partnership with Stanford University
– Shaylen Keller, Founding Member of ZiRu Dance
– Scott Putman (Amaranth Dance Company) in partnership with Virginia Commonwealth University
– Mary Armentrout, Founder of Mary Armentrout Dance Theater
– Philein Wang, Founder and Artistic Director of ZiRu Dance
-Beijing Normal University
-Daqing Normal University
-Daqing Opera House
-Northeast Petroleum University
-Tianjin Conservatory of Music
-Renmin University of China
-Western Academy Beijing
-Beijing National Day School
2013-2014 Season Schedule:
– October 2013: Scott Putman
– December 2013: Aleta Hayes
– March 2014: Shaylen Keller
– April 2014: Mary Armentrout
– June 2014: Karah Abiog
– June 2014: Philein Wang
– June 2-23, 2014: 5 city exchange and tour with ZiRu Dance performing in Beijing, Kunshan, Xiangyang, Daqing, and Dalian.
2015: Charles Roy & Madelyn Biven participated in an 8-city tour in China with AMWAY’s 2015 corporate holiday conference. The duo performed a new duet created specifically for this tour, in partnership with BJ Brilliance, a Chinese industrial production company.
September 2014: Liu Yifeng (LDTX) completes a 2-week choreographic residency with the LINES Ballet Training Program
September 2012: ZiRu Dance Commissions a new work from Sunny Shen (LDTX) for the 2012 Home Season
June/July 2012: ZiRu Dance invites former LDTX Dancer, Sunny Shen to perform with the company in new works by Charles Anderson and Scott Putnam at the Beijing Dance Festival in Beijing.
July 2012: ZiRu Dance facilitates Charles Anderson teaching and presenting new work at the Beijing Dance Festival
July 2012: Ziru Dance performs an evening-length program at the Beijing Dance Festival in July 2012.
July 2012: ZiRu Dance produces a week-long Chinese tour for ODC Dance including main stage performances at the Beijing Dance Festival and Beijing Normal University and a residency with a local Beijing dance project.
June 2012: ZiRu Dance completes a two-week, two-city tour to Beijing and Jilin alongside RAW Dance and dancers from the LINES Ballet Training Program.
September 2010: Sunny Shen (formerly of LDTX) completes a 2-week choreographic residency with the LINES Ballet Training Program